Wednesday 26 August 2009

Vera Livera - A Portrait in Oils


For Sale - Please ask for Details

The influence of my Florence Academy Course is very evident here. I painted this portrait with my oil painting students during the 10 week term. It was very rewarding and I think we all got a lot out of it. I used my limited palette of white, cadmium yellow, yellow ochre, cadmium red, cobalt blue, and black to mix the incremental tonal values to achieve the correct shades of each colour group.

This woman is a member of the Eveni, one of 26 indigenous peoples spread over Siberia and the far north of the Russian Federation. She spends most of the Arctic summer in a fishing camp with here extended family filleting salmon caught in the Vyvenko river after the long run form the Sea of Okhotsk.

No comments:

Post a Comment